A VERY HAPPY 2019 TO Y’ALL! In the midst of all of the chaos that has been my life for these past two months, I have not been present on my fave lil corner of the web. For that I’m sorry! Senior year has really got me goin craaaazy (in the best/worst ways). BUT I am back for a lil #girltalk #realtalk which happens to be y’alls favorite to read and mine to write! This post could seriously be ALLL over the place but I think that’s the point of a #realtalk. It’s not always going to be the most linear, easy-to-follow kind of post but it’s gonna be a good ole venting session and who doesn’t need one of those?!
Now, before we get started let’s dip our toes in the warm waters that are new years resolutions, new years goals, new years whatever-you-wanna-call-em. Yeah sure, they can be a great motivator for those first few months, weeks, or days (lol) of the year but how do you actually be sure you accomplish them?! I don’t necessarily like to call them new years resolutions; I prefer to call/make them into goals. The best way to set goals is to make them achievable, measurable and to set benchmarks so you can make it happen. Keep them posted on a sticky on your desktop, in your planner, or just somewhere that you’ll see them everyday. Keep em in the front of your mind!
As someone who personally has a track record of forgetting about these so-called resolutions half way through the year, I feel you if this is something you struggle with. Let’s just be honest about it, y’all. Things are not going to change unless you do something to change them! 2019 has the potential to be your year so get in there and pave your path to whatever your heart desires.
There’s always been the mantra of “new year, new me” and it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. As good as it can feel to “leave it all behind in 2018” I don’t honestly think it’s possible. This season is all about reflection: of where we’ve come from and where we have been. Use what you have learned whether it be from success or from failure TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. You don’t have to shut out all of the bad to get to the good! It’ll help you to grow. Learn from 2018, and use it to BE better and DO better in 2019. Because of 2018, you are changed!
With all this talk of change and goal-setting for a better year, here’s a peak into what I have challenged myself to achieve this year!
- Move more confidently and fearlessly. This is your life, and you are the one who has the ability to make things different. Confidence for me has come with age as well as out of hardships and challenges. I want to continue to learn from mistakes and work on being more confident in the decisions I am making in my life. Will this be my most difficult goal for the year? Heck to the yes. It’s not as much of a check yes or no goal but I think I’ll be able to look back by the end of the year to see whether or not I’ve moved confidently to get to that point!
- Learn to be more spontaneous. This seems to be a reoccurring pattern of mine as I did have a similar goal for myself this year. I definitely improved on that but I still have ways to go! As a TYPE A, it is sooo challenging to go off the books and be spontaneous. But it’s so rewarding to be able to live in the moment (even if it’s just for a day or two). With my new job (I’ll be a traveling consultant for my sorority this upcoming school year) that I’m starting in July, I think this’ll be easier to make happen. I won’t have a home-base per say, so jumping from place to place will 100 percent take me out of my comfort zone and methodical-like schedule I’ve been stuck in. Maybe I’ll try a new Starbucks drink or get another sub at Jimmy Johns that’s not the Vito? The options are truly endless.
- Take the time to be selfish. Ok, this may sound bad but hear me out? I’m going to be traveling for a living, going from place to place, mostly alone, at the back half of 2019. As a soon-to-be 22 year-old, I really feel like this is my time. It’s my opportunity to learn about myself, to do things for myself without reason! I may as well take this time in my early-twenties to be selfish, while I still can.
- Continue to journal (if not daily at least weekly). If you’ve read the blog before, you have definitely heard me talk about my newfound love for journaling. I LIVE FOR IT. Don’t know about y’all, but for me there is something about writing the thoughts in my head down on paper that is extremely therapeutic. I want to be able to look back through all my journals in the future and see my growth!
- Make a big girl purchase. Maybe a bag or pair of shoes? Still accepting suggestions, so let me know what y’all got. With me finally getting my first big-girl job after school, I am really wanting to buy myself something that I’ll have forever! It’s gonna feel amazing when I can actually afford something nice for myself! But until then, catch me with my fake Gucci :/
- NEW YORK AND CALIFORNIA. I’ll be traveling for a living, but I gotta get my butt back to New York (it’s one of my favorite places in the world…I’m obsessed with all of it) in order to keep me sane!! California has been on my bucket list forever so fingers crossed I can visit this spring!
- Find the joy in the little things. Like I’ve previously, stated my type A personality doesn’t always allow me to stop and enjoy the little things. In an effort to be a more appreciative person in general, I think finding happiness in the little things, no matter how small, is the best way to start!
- Even in those ruts, continue to create. This year especially, I allowed myself to shut down if I was stuck in a creative rut. This year I want to push myself to keep on creating when I’m not motivated to. Easier said then done, but some of my best work has come from pushing through that bump in the road. Being a self-proclaimed profectionist hasn’t helped me thus far, but I’m hoping my change in scenery will be inspiring to say the least!
- Money! Management! Yeah, I really gotta start adulting and get my money in track. I am a shopahaulic which complicates my saving money an awful lot lol. This year, I hope to start CONSISTENTLY saving a part of my paycheck. When I’m done traveling, I gotta start real life and there’s gonna be hella expenses/bills to pay. So if you see me spending copious amounts of money before I put my pre-portioned savings in it’s account, feel free to smack me across the face. I’ll thank ya later.
WHEW. Ok that was a mouthful. If you’re still reading, thank you. You’re an angel. Anyone wanna talk 2019 or even 2018? Leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram! Cheers to where we’ve come from and cheers to where we are headed!