HELLO HELLO! I am over the moon to be sitting down to chat with y’all today. These posts are by far my favorite to write and I am so blessed to be typing up my third one as we speak (read 20 and 21). So sit down, relax and grab a drink – let’s dive in!
Twenty-two things I learned by 22:
- Dying my hair has legit made me a better person? Not sure what it is but when I started dying my hair dark brown, I really grew into myself? I guess it took a drastic change to make me feel good? Idk. But every time I die my hair dark, I have some sort of good luck so if I can have that every 3-4 months I will take it!
- Never be afraid to make a friend. It’s so funny how you can make a friend in the most unexpected places. This summer, I met one of my best friends by being creepy and texting her about moving to Fayetteville. Now look where we are! A summer of working together, countless FT calls, lots of pizza, margs, and cries on the bathroom floor – we are closer than ever!
- Oldies are the best. Huuuuuge 70s, 80s, and 90s fan over here.
- Vodka. Tonic. But only if someone else makes it for you? I cannot make my own drinks for the life of me. I should prob work on that…
- Buy the jeans- they will be worth it! I never really splurged on jeans but once I did and I’ll never go back.
- Journalling can save lives! I won’t drag on about this because you’ve def heard me talk about it here and here. But bottom line: getting your thoughts out onto paper is therapeutic on another level.
- I still don’t understand boys. Don’t think I ever will? Anyone with me?
- Summer internships are life changing (RiffRaff, I CAN’T THANK YA ENOUGH). Breaking your routine is necessary and for me it really allowed me to break out of my shell and gain some new experiences! You learn a lot about yourself when you’re outside of your comfort zone. Fay, I miss and love ya toooo much.
- Old cars teach you alllll the life lessons. The Frat Wag and I have truly been through too much to recap but I’ll just sum it up this way: I now know how to do a plethora of things under the hood of a car! 19 years and counting and we are still trucking. I am thankful!
- Melatonin, I love you angel. I have been using melatonin (keep in mind I DO NOT take it every night) for a deep sleep. It’s honestly one of my best tricks I’ve learned this year. Beauty sleep is key ladies!
- Credit cards are the devil but they are also amazing? I talked a bit about about money management in my 2019 goals but bottom line get your finances in line! This year I have become HORRIBLE at managing my money (it’s called online shopping) so I need to learn how to be better because this girl is about to be an adult y’all!
- Take the trip – the opportunity won’t always be there! I took a spontaneous trip to NYC this summer and I am so so happy I did. When I say spontaneous I mean I planned it two weeks or so in advance, but it really felt spontaneous to me #typeA.
- Chance the Rapper is my MF boo thang. Did I live under a rock until 2018? APPARENTLY!
- I would do many things for Calvin’s (a grocery store in Baton Rouge) chicken salad. With wheat thins! Be still my heart!
- There will always be people who doubt you, talk bad about you, and don’t support you. The hardest but most rewarding thing to do is continue to do your own thing and prove em allllll wrong. Not that you need approval from others to be validated but I think showing someone you CAN and WILL do something is the most liberating feeling.
- American airlines and I do not get along. Cancelled flights, lost bags, delayed flights, and flight voucher issues… the list goes on. I wish I could say I’m done with them but I know I’m going to have to fly with them again. Ain’t that fun?
- Learn how to give yourself an at home blowout and you will never be the same! The volume! The round brush! Ugh, I love the way my hair feels after a fresh blow out so do yourself a favor and watch some youtube vids to get the technique down. You’ll thank me later!
- Stop being so critical! I am my own biggest critic and sometimes it really holds me back. I’ve learned to loosen the reins *just a bit but everyone is a work in progress ok* and I can say I’ve enjoyed life a lot more. Don’t take yourself too seriously! Life is fun, make it that way!
- Everyone needs a pair of MuMu bells. They are my favorite pants in the world. SO flattering and so comfy.
- Y’all need to go to Chili’s. Chips and salsa, soup and salad and a big fat Coke for under $15? Sign me up. Plus they have a banging marg if you’re ballin on a budget.
- I’m becoming a crazy hat lady. I’ve accepted it. I’ve embraced it.
- Make time for the ones that matter. Most of the time when I get home from work or school, I don’t ever wanna leave my room until the next day for work or school again haha. But time is short and you’ll never regret spending time with the people you love even if it means you have to leave your comfy af bed.
HONESTLY SHOCKED I MADE IT THIS FAR! 21, YOU WERE BOMB. 22, I KNOW YOU’LL BE EVEN BETTER. CHEERS!
As I turned 20 last year, I reflected on some things that I learned in my years of life. A year later, and I’m back writing my 21-year-old version. Time is flying by so fast y’all! I was so giddy sitting down to type up this post. MAMA I MADE IT.
Twenty one things I learned by 21:
- An all black outfit is always a good idea. Man do I feel like a million bucks in black on black. Not sure what it is, but this year I have been so drawn to the sophisticated look of an all black ‘fit.
- I am a TOTAL HOMEBODY. Ok, so I knew this before but I really connected to my bed this past year. There’s just something about snuggling in with some Netflix…
- Learn to love your flaws. This year especially, I struggled with severe acne. Accutane saved my skin for real. It got worse before it got better and it made me realize it’s not worth putting on pounds of makeup everyday. Everyone deals with it, so I’m not alone. Although it took me until the end of the year to realize that, it has made a huge difference in my self-confidence.
- I don’t think I could survive without chapstick. It’s truly an essential for me. Put one in every purse/jacket pocket so you’ll never have crusty lips (so gross I know.. but I can thank Accutane for my 8 month stint with those).
- Organization is key. Last year, I talked about my planner as my lifeline and this year I’m going a bit deeper into organization. HAVING YOUR LIFE ORGANIZED MAKES THINGS 100% EASIER/SMOOTHER/BETTER. A clean and organized room/phone/purse is the best feeling in the entire world (don’t @ me).
- Champagne goes with everything.
- Some things are worth the splurge. Before I started working at Hemline, I really didn’t splurge much on clothes. I didn’t even understand the value behind them either. Since learning about sourcing and other factors that go into the making of a garment — I know what’s worth it and what’s not. This year I got a little carried away and splurged on a few things (*cough cough* these jeans, boots, and this top).
- DRINK YOUR WATER kids. I swear I feel like a different human being when I am dehydrated. You can catch me with my huge S’well bottle attached to my hip most days. We need water to function, so please give your body what it needs!
- If you need a cheering up/wishful thinking/crying night watch a rom-com from the 1990s-early 2000s. They’re a one stop shop for any mood I’m ever in. New life goal is to watch every one I can find on the internet. If ya need somewhere to start, I’d go with She’s all That.
- Love to learn. Being open to learning/trying something new can really change your life! While I do hate to learn I’m doing something wrong (I’m a total type A), it’s even better to be taught how to do things right. I’ll forever be student!
- Each year I am consistently reminded of how amazing the women in my life truly are. Each and every one is so strong and I simply could not imagine where in the world I would be if I did not have them. Alpha Phi especially has shown me that as women we really do have the power to make a difference #girlpower!
- Self tanner has saved my life. This year especially, I’ve really tried to be cautious about my exposure to the sun so self tanner has been my absolute go-to year round. I really helps me to look like I am a real live human being and not a ghost. Shouts to this one because it’s $20 and my all time fave.
- Totally going against my splurge rant a minute ago, but I’ve really tried (keyword: tried) to save this year. Hey, I don’t have much time left until I’m going to have to enter the real world (oooh scary) so I am gonna have to have some funds to make it?? I’ve been putting a little bit of each check in savings this year! Although I’ll have to start over after my summer internship (que the Kim K gif of her fanning out the money), my savings up until then will have been worth it.
- THERE IS NOTHING BETTER IN THE WORLD THAN A NICE COLD FOUNTAIN COKE. Do not fight me on this because you know it’s true.
- Clean sheets after a shower… need I say more?
- Social media is fun.. but it’s does not define who you are or your success. I am still learning this fact of life…. Often times, I find myself scrolling through instagram and only thinking negatively of myself and the work I am putting out there. That’s not what’s it’s about. Instagram is not real life. I’m still working on that insecure feeling that I get when I log on to the gram but I think this is probably something many of us struggle with!
- Spotify is number 1. Life is just better with music, anytime, anywhere. My taste is all over the place (accurate parallel to my personality) and Spotify is my favorite for finding and organizing all ma tunes.
- Learn to treat yourself. Down time is key! Netflix and a fountain coke are always my remedies for a relaxing night.
- Working for what you have is more rewarding than anything. Y’all know those warm fuzzies that you get in the pit of your stomach? Mine normally come from those moments when I can look back and see the fruits of my labor!
- One Direction > all boys ever.
- Your 20s are where it’s at! Although I am only one year in, I can tell this phase of my life will really define me!
Here’s to another year of life! 21, lets hope you’re the best year yet. Cheeerrrrzzz!